Saturday 7 September 2013

The Black Bucket - Chapter 2

I can feel needles going into my skin, what is this pain? What is this man doing to me?
  “How does it look?” The man held a mirror which was reflecting my skin.
I can see a blurred image, against my skin, I got a tattoo on the side of my chest? Since when? What is the image?


  “That’ll be 46 credits dude!” The taxi driver held out the credits machines.
I placed my phone against, I was always fascinated by this and ever since it was introduced the amount of robberies went down. I disembarked from the taxi, carrying heaps of luggage, including my new kitten, why did I get a kitten again?
I took a look at my building and sighed, it was a beautiful building, it was all red bricks, properly maintained, save for the growing weeds on the walls. Apparently it’s been here since the 2010s, around ninety percent of the buildings in this town have been demolished and rebuilt save for a few buildings and this is one of them. “Montirave Building”, who was this Montirave, whoever he was he surely did a fine job with this. As I walked towards the doors, the doorman greeted me cheerfully as always and pulled the door open. He made a nod at the kitten, I just smiled back and so did he. Jason, the doorman, lost the ability to talk, during the “incident” he lost his voice to his enraged state.


I think we each lost a certain thing during our enraged states, and they’re somehow related to our past, I am just speculating here but I think it’s somehow connected, the virus targeted certain aspects of our behaviours and destroyed them. This is considering we actually made it back from the enraged state. I took the elevator to the 12th floor, the kitten gave a nervous meow. “Don’t worry hun, you’ll see your new home soon enough.” I can already tell this is going to change everything. Finally reached the 12th floor, as the door opened one of the most mesmerising sights greeted me, and it is the painting on this wall, across the whole corridor a very oriental Dragon graffiti is painted on it, I love the colours, orange, grey, black, and some other shades in between. But the fact that it’s painted with these three shades only is amazing, they wanted this painted over but everyone on this floor petitioned against it. Also, three people live on this floor other than myself, 1201 is Phillip, 1202 is Maurice, 1203 is Dorelei and 1204 is me. “Welcome to your new home.” Welcoming the kitten as I swung the door open. My whole apartment was designed by Maurice, he’s quite the artist, he’s also fun company save for the fact he’s gay and constantly hitting on me. I don’t mind it though, it’s quite nice to get attention like that sometimes, even from another male. My whole flat was very simple, black and white furniture, and only my music corner was out of place but I don’t care. One bedroom, one and half bathrooms, a view overlooking the city, a fully functioning kitchen with enough room for a dining table. All this for the price of a sharp tongue, and sheer luck, I managed to swindle this out of my former boss, who I caught faking reports and pocketing extra cash. I felt guilty at the time I took it, but I really needed a place like this but he’s dead now… Enraged, his body couldn’t handle the effect, he was one of the unlucky ones.


I managed to finish unpacking all of the kitten goodies, litter box, scratching pole, a small bed (which for some reason I recall they hardly ever use), a small ball and two bowls (one for wet and one dry food). Right, now to let it out of the travelling cage, she immediately jumped on my lap and so I scratched her head in turn. "Shoxy, yes, that's your new name, I don't know why or how I came up with that name but I think it suits you." I gave her nose a little poke she purred. I took the next week off, it's a strange coincidence, and a funny thing too. I was planning on taking next week off for myself, but it seems like I have company now and it should be interesting. I let Shoxy have a stroll around the house, I need to make myself something to eat, I haven't eaten since the accident because I'm still thinking about what Vipin said.


I feel lost, my memories are no where to be found, sometimes I think it's a good fresh start, although I still want to find out what happened in my past. Who was the girl in the woods, who were the people surrounding me when I was a child, were they even my real parents? Where did the tattoo go? Did even get one to start off with? Did I remove it? All these questions tortured me, I don't know what to make of it. I have been having these small time lapses ever since this Enraged incident, they didn't really have any negative effect on my day to day life but I wonder when will I reach the point of missing out on whole hour instead of a few minutes.


I timed the microwave to 25 seconds, waiting for the sandwich to heat up, I really just wanted the cheese to melt with the pepperoni. When microwave stopped I could sort of see my reflection against the microwave door, I haven't shaved for days, I look very scruffy maybe I'll tend to this later. I grabbed my sandwich, and just deflated myself on the couch, I can see the kitten scouring under the couch opposite me. "Shoxy, come here..." I doubt she understood, she still kept investigating her finding. I can see the oils seeping out of the side of the sandwich, the cheese, the pepperoni, the pizza sauce mix and the chilli sauce. I took pride in this sandwich, it was my speciality really, just this sandwich, and maybe tuna melt but that's it.


The doorbell rang, It's probably Dorelei, I pulled the door open, and there she was 1204, the fiery red head from next door. She has dark brown eyes, there was a little scar on the outer side of her left eye, she said she cut it while doing her eyebrows, then there were her slightly unkempt eyebrows which is probably why they weren't fixed, probably out of fear of hurting herself again. Her hair was lovely, I pay great attention to people's hair, I find the way they style depends on their personality rather than if it makes them look better. She has bangs to her eye brows, then two small braided strands of hair on both sides of her ears, the back was shaved, leveled really short at the nape, gets thicker as it goes to the back of her head. She has a slightly long nose, but it wasn't protruding, her cheeks were always flushed, she has interesting lips the upper lip was slightly narrower than her lower lip but overall she was a pretty sight.
  "Stop looking at me as if I'm the only human you ever see..." She kissed my cheeks and went in.
  "Not sure you qualify as a human." I knew how to make her blush.
  "Always the smooth talker 'ey?" She turned around and gave me a wink. "Ugh! You made that sandwich again didn't you? Your whole apartment smells of it!" She sat her self on the couch and put her feet on the coffee table.
  I might have left out how well we know each other, I was coming home from work one day when I heard shouting from her apartment, it wasn't unusual, she always fought with her ex but this time I heard things smashing. I knocked on the door to let them know someone is here, in hopes that they calm down but that's when I heard a big crash. I opened the door to find her sprawled, her face covered in blood, her psycho ex put her through a glass table. I was threatened by her ex if I didn't get out he would kill me, he then went on accusing her of sleeping with me. one, I don't take kindly to serious threats, two, do not accuse me of something I didn't do, these were my basic rules. I told him to get out, he then went on to punching me in the face, that's when I grabbed a broken table leg and battered him with it, I broke the hand he punched me with to pieces. I grabbed him by the back of his clothes dragged him out into the corridor, and called the police, and an ambulance. I left him there, I knew he wasn't going anywhere, I quickly went to aid Dorelei, helped her up and took her to my apartment. Oh, one more thing, that was me in my enraged state, controlled enraged state that's the intended effect of the Virus, and I managed to keep it after recovering from it, it basically gave us extra strength and physical capabilities.


  "You got a kitten?!"  She jumped up from the couch in surprise.
  "Ah careful, she's very picky about who she likes!" I warned her. Knowing her she would just neglect the warning and go for it anyway.
  "What did you call her?" She asked as she reached out for her.
  "Shoxy, just be careful, she gets aggressive if she doesn't like someone, she has to pick you." I was getting very defensive about her touching Shoxy.
  "Don't worry, me and Shoxy will get along just fine." She grabbed her, they touched noses and then Shoxy licked Dorelei! "Hah! I told you she'll like me!" She went on making funny faces at the kitten and I just stood there dumbfounded.
  "Well, I guess Shoxy has a new caretaker for when I'm away!" I laughed as I basically just told Dorelei that she is going to have to care for the kitten as well.
  "You didn't even have to say it!" She smiled at me and then went back to tickling Shoxy.

She rarely smiled, it was a warm smile and I always felt better knowing she's recovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment