Monday 20 December 2010

Relationships in this society

Relationships in Oman, the biggest gossip topic ever and the most forbidden action! According to Omani culture... I'd like to state the fact that I am fully aware of Islam, the things we have to follow and respect. I am merely discussing dating itself in Oman, meaning it has already taken action but it makes you go "lol WTF rofl!".

This started with me reading an article in a magazine a while back, this lady was wondering what was happening and the story is funny. She was in a restaurant, eating obviously, so there was a girl sitting in a corner and a guy sitting in the other. She kept noticing the guy's phone ringing and then after a while the girl's phone rings... Then it hit her that they were on a date together! And I laughed when I read the story, I mean come on... I understand the culture but come on... That's absurb if you're gonna date do it properly, not sit in opposite sides or atleast choose a location where you can spend time together. But I honestly don't fully blame them, Omani people are "lookers" they're always looking for cousins, friends and male/females. If they see a couple, they'll drop their jaws and point. What's wrong is, we're brought up in a way where a guy and girl is an automatic "x" and they automatically go tell others of their "discovery"! 

Honestly people are concerned about the wrong things, they're worried about relationships when there are more serious issues such as all these night club being opened and if their kids go to it, drugs and maybe people in higher positions who steal? No body looks at those issues as seriously. Times are changing, i've noticed people are becoming slightly more accepting but on the other hand there are people who went off the wrong way about it. I'm in a quite open relationship, no hiding and stuff. My parents know about her, her mom knows about us, met her aunt, siblings and some cousins. Same goes for me, she met nearly all my cousins, mom, dad and aunt. But our parents are still not fond of the whole idea living in Oman and all, as long as they are aware of a relationship it's fine I guess.

I don't mind living in a society where this is all deemed wrong, but to the point where you're watching your back and hoping your not caught... Now that's absurd, if you wanna do it, do it and be sensible. 

Till that day comes *dreams* I'll be married and happy :P trying to keep our children from dating like any parent but not stop them if they actually do.

2 comments:

  1. Some great thoughts here! It's cool that you are so open about things and not "do one thing and say another". Blessings to you and your girlfriend (future wife?!)! :-)

    ReplyDelete