Saturday 26 February 2011

Oman's Music Industry

I've been play Guitar since I was 12 and now i'm 21, so do the maths, along the way I learned my own playing style too and I hardly learned songs. During the course of this I started playing other instruments on the side, I had the ability to work my way around them quite well and I managed to play a few basic things on them. I was in UK when I started and nearly all my friends played an instrument... So sometimes we got together and jammed it was fun.

In Oman by some lucky chance this dude(a close friend of mine) was looking for a guitarist, so he asked this person I knew in school  named Hamed to join him(because he played guitar too) but Hamed recommended me instead. So the next day I went and met up with this dude called "Ray" we started chatting,  he told he wanted to make a band and all so I stuck around. We got a few members, but due to the lack of musicians and the concept of music in Oman, we didn't have a bassist, we came across quite a few they were either small time or lost interest fast. So since day one me and Ray stuck together looking to form a band, we went through around atleast 10 people before we actually played our first concert in PDO and even then our vocalist was a 1990 voice recorder being played in the 2000's(he was a person, that was a reference to how bad his voice is)... Anyway people enjoyed our Music choice regardless of our singer being crappy. Soon after the vocalist started some rumors on Facebook, we had a talk, fought and kicked him. He took our band practice location with him as it was his originally. As the years went we looked for other bands members, found some, played with them and then it faded away. They were all silly issues, like someone not having a car, not coming on time and other rubbish.

So till this I hope to find, some members and we can kick start a band with proper practice and stuff... But the awareness is very small in Oman... I have met lots of bands in oman, not lots, but a few they're doing quite well for themselves but no one is willing to try hard enough so I wish that one day I can do something here... Until that day I'll keep an eye out...


4 comments:

  1. Hmmm I have a very close friend who is in a band. And having relatives in the music industry, I seriously know how hard it is to break in and stay there. Good luck with everything, hope you get the chance to be successful with the band members of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaah! try to ask around T__T I wouldn't mind playing with them

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to upload your music online (if you've not done already) and link me :P Didn't know you played guitar before this. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete